Today I’m featured over at Scribbles n\’Things with our love story. Be sure to check it out!
So I know that Pixie isn’t here yet, but I thought I’d share some of the blog posts that were super informative and helpful in convincing Aaron and I that cloth diapers was a good, cost-effective way to go. When the baby arrives and we’re a few months in, maybe I’ll hop on and share my experience with cloth diapers too, just so you can have my perspective. But for now, here are all the insanely helpful posts I have read and reread!
This first blog/site was probably the first one that piqued my interest in cloth diapers. (As my sister Lissie can tell you, I was vehemently against cloth diapers before I got married. I told her many times that I only wanted to deal with poop once. Ha! Now look at me! It was only because I didn’t understand cloth diapers though.) Lindsay had several posts that I read many times before I even brought up cloth diapering with Aaron. Since then I branched out to get other opinions, but I have kept these posts for reference. The following six links are to Passionate Homemaking
- Cloth Diapering: Is It Worth It?
- Basic Cloth Diapering Supplies
- One Size Pocket Diaper Reviews
- Newborn Cloth Diaper Reviews
- Guest Post: Cloth Diapering 101 Part 1
- Guest Post: Cloth Diapering 101 Part 2
Amelia from Musings of a Homemaker did a series on cloth diapering, beginning with a very helpful cost breakdown of the different kinds and styles of cloth diapers as compared to disposable. I definitely bookmarked her first post for reference.
- Cloth Diapers: Why Would You Even Bother?
- Cloth Diapers: Not Your Grandmother\’s Cloth Diapers
- Cloth Diapers: Diaper Care and Common Myths
- Cloth Diapers: A Few Close Ups of My Stash
And on another blog I enjoy reading, Through Clouded Glass, Callie put together some posts about cloth diapering.
- Cloth Diapering: First Impressions
- Cloth Diapering Resources
- Cloth Diapering Tips 1
- Cloth Diapering Tips 2
Some other posts I found helpful:
- Cloth Diapering 101 – Leanna at Thoughts and Whatnots
- Cloth Diapers – Bridget from Just a little part of me… (Both this one and the last one were helpful to me in terms of laundering the diapers.)
- Cloth Diaper Update – Rachel from Rachel and John
- Diaper Debate – Lauren at Meet the Chapmans
I hope that is informative to any of you who are thinking, “What? Are you crazy??” or “That sounds interesting! What is cloth diapering like?” I’ll share with you all what our experience with cloth diapering is when our Pixie arrives too so you can have our perspective on brands/styles/laundering/life with cloth diapers etc.
We have a recharged camera battery! So now you can see bits and pieces of our life. I’ll share pictures of the new house when I can too.
Our house has been filling up with lots of pink things like the onesie above. My sister Lissie sent that to me. We don’t have a lot of room in our small apartment to just store these things so the next picture shows where our pink stash has been stockpiling.
In the corner of our bedroom! Aaron and I have been so blessed by the generosity of friends and family in making sure our little Pixie-girl has everything she needs to look the part of a girly girl. Some friends of mine gave me the items in one of the large gift bags. While I was unwrapping it, the nine-year-old girl was just as excited as I was – she was bouncing up and down the entire time I was looking through all the precious things.
Literally two minutes from the apartment where Aaron and I live now is a Once Upon a Child and I cannot stay out of that place! They sell gently used baby clothes and items. We found our pack and play there for much less than we would have had to get it new. It’s even Pooh Bear like I wanted too! The day after we found out Pixie was a girl, I went and picked out a bunch of cute pink things that I liked. It was so exciting to be picking out pink things for my own little precious daughter!! I can’t tell you how thrilling it is to say daughter and realize that I have one!
Today I purchased the bedding we’re using. I had a great coupon for Buy Buy Baby and I thought it would be good to take advantage of it! Aaron and I have been prioritizing things we still need to get for our pink girlie. Sometimes it’s hard to put something on the “nice to have” list when you really want it on the “must have” list! I think sometimes stores charge an arm and a leg for baby items because they know first time parents (or maybe not just first time?) are big suckers for the cute stuff and will shell out any amount for their new little one.
I didn’t get a picture of this, but we were able to purchase Pixie’s carseat! I have been rolling around all the different options in my head with all the pros and cons between infant only, convertible and others. It’s quite a relief to have that decision made and the large box sitting in our living room!
We had snow for the third (I think?) time this season. Around 11 AM the big fluffy flakes started coming down and it didn’t stop until about 5:00. The temperature is hovering right around freezing so not much of it stayed on the ground but it certainly makes everything just a little more magical around here. A few weeks ago, we had a big ice storm overnight. The next morning was a Saturday and Aaron and I needed to go somewhere. Our car sits outside in a parking lot and it was covered in about 3/4 of an inch of ice. Boy, it was tough to get inside, let alone get enough off so we could drive! The roads were pretty clear, but inside the apartment complex it was an ice skating rink so we had to be insanely careful. That was definitely interesting!
Last year when Aaron and I were trying to get pregnant, we were walking through some store and this onesie caught my eye. We purchased it, in hopes that we would get pregnant and that we’d have at least one daughter. Whenever I see this little onesie, it reminds me every time of God’s faithfulness and goodness to His children.
And here’s our puppy. Somehow she gets cuter every day. She is very intelligent and pretty obedient. We are wondering how she’ll do welcoming a pink bundle called a baby into her world. She loves kids but Pixie won’t be a “kid” for several years. Thankfully Mocha is gentle around kids and will tolerate pretty much anything when it comes to rambunctiousness so we’re not worried on that account!
A baby bump picture! I’m completely into maternity clothes now and boy are they comfortable. I feel like a grow rounder every single day. It will be interesting to see how big I am around Pixie’s due date.
And last but not least, an ultrasound picture of our precious girl’s foot, which she likes to use to remind me that she’s awake and alive in there. I love when she kicks me. Feeling her move is always amazing, realizing this living being is inside me, growing more and more every day. It always makes me praise and glorify God for His mysterious workings.
Well, before I share that news, I’ll catch you all up on what’s been going on in the past month of our lives.
- The beginning of January we went to see our friend’s the K’s who live in southern Michigan. It was great to get away for a few days and see all of them. Mr. K preached a great sermon on 1st Thessalonians 4:3. Their oldest, Megan, had gotten engaged not even a week before we arrived and we were able to meet her fiance which was great. I’m excited for both Megan and Elijah as they embark on this wonderful journey called marriage! They’re planning on getting married mid-March. Also while we were there, Aaron and I got to have a good discussion with Robbie.
- The second week in January we were schedule for a doctor’s appointment and while we were there, we requested to find out the baby’s gender. The ultrasound tech had just walked out the door, but the nurse practitioner agreed to do an unofficial ultrasound to see if we could find out. Pixie would not cooperate! Pixie was moving all over the place but just not in such a place to see the plumbing! It was pretty cool to see our precious little one though. It makes having a baby seem even more real.
- Now, the whole reason we wanted to find out the baby’s gender then, was because Aaron and I were flying out to see my family and while I was there, my family’s church was throwing me a baby shower. So we had to tell everyone to get green and yellow items since Pixie wouldn’t cooperate! The baby shower was such a blessing and we got quite a few very useful items. Thank you so much Morningside Baptist!
- But the main reason for seeing my family was my mom’s birthday. Both sets of my grandparents were out there and it was a full house! We certainly had a blast though. It was wonderful to spend my mom’s birthday with her, rather than 14 hours away. We went out to breakfast together and then one of mom’s friends threw her a little party at Olive Garden. Let me tell you, that group of women is just a huge blessing. It was great to be with all of them! That night we watched a funny cartoon/kids movie together as a family.
- While we were there, I felt the baby move for the first time! It was just a little tiny fluttering kick, but I knew the baby moved. I’ve been feeling the baby a lot now. I think I can pick up when Pixie is asleep or awake.
- Our official ultrasound was last week on the 25th. We were praying so hard that little Pixie would cooperate! We waited in the waiting room for about 25 minutes and then they finally called us back. I felt like there should’ve been movie music or some kind of ceremony as we found out the gender of our precious little one. But nope, I just lay down and the ultrasound tech spread the hot clear stuff on my abdomen, and declared, “Well, it looks like you’re having a girl!” Just like that. (I know, I did it to you too! It’s frustrating when you want it to be special and they declare it like they’re just telling you what they had for lunch.) The rest of the visit went well, everything looks great! All the way home, I kept grabbing Aaron’s arm and saying, “We’re having a girl!” And Aaron would say, “No, really?” I was just so happy to finally know whether it was a girl or a boy. I would have had the exact same reaction if we found out it was a boy.
- The very next day, I went out and bought a bunch of pink clothes from Once Upon A Child for our Pixie. (Now we can really call her that, since she’s a girl!) I was so happy. I’m in girl heaven.
- The other “big thing” that’s been taking up a lot of our time is that we are buying a house! We went and looked at houses on the 12th and found one that we simply fell in love with. We made an offer not even a week later and since then it’s been excepted, we’ve signed the contract, we’ve had the inspection, Aaron’s signed loan papers, etc! The only thing we’re waiting on now is getting the final approval for the loan. We love the house! I will put up pictures as soon as I possibly can.
I think that’s about it in terms of updating everyone. I will get pictures up as soon as I possibly can. Our camera battery finally died and we have lost our recharger. I ordered a new one this week, so as soon as that arrive you can expect to see many pictures! I will also try to get a Week 21 update up this week.